Sometimes, I have days and weeks when I want to spend all my time in books, and I feel like the boy in the Neverending Story. Sadly, adult life often gets in the way off this plan – but increasingly I find ways to fit in as much time for my mind as for running around being practical. And for real immersion in wonderful, intriguing worlds there is nothing like children’s books – my personal favourites are the classics, Watership Down, The Secret Garden, The Hobbit, as well as brilliant new takes on fairy tales like RJ Anderson’s Knife – and, of course, anything with witches and magic which means I am completely and utterly a fan of, of course, Harry Potter.
As my choice of clothes usually echoes my current obsessions, and this week I have been wearing anything that makes me feel like that girl with a head full of books that I still am in my heart. Stripey tops, coloured tights, and my favourite badge to make me happy, plus a vintage handmade woolly waistcoat to keep out the cold. These things make me smile
I’m off to immerse myself in a new book, A Most Improper Magick – I’ve already matched the colour with my outfit!
Top and skirt - H&M
Waistcoat - vintage
Shoes - New Look
Tights - Ebay
Coat - ASOS
3 comments:
Love the quote and the new layout! In the photo where you're looking at the books, you remind me of the illustrations of Eloise! (which somehow, I've never managed to read... I must sort out my I-work-in-the-children's-department-of-a-bookshop priorities!)
Have you read The Invention of Hugo Cabret and/or Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick? If not, DO. Hugo is better, by general agreement (and the winning of the Caldecott Medal for best Picture Book by an American author - THE American PB award! It sent librarians into a tizzy - because while it qualifies as a picture book, it's over 500 pages!) If you have, did you love it? Did the movie come out over there? I'm waiting for the Maggie Smith/Judi Dench movie to come out over here.
Oo I like the analogy, I LOVE Eloise. One of my favourites :) I have read Hugo, and did love it, especially the focus on early cinema - it is a clever book and an example of why children's literature is overrated! I haven't read Wonderstruck, though - am going to go add it to my Amazon wishlist right now :) The Hugo movie is out too, though I'm waiting for it on DVD cos I prefer movies in the comfort of my own home with good tea - except Harry Potter and The Hobbit, where I just can't resist...
I would love to work in a children's book department - sometimes I wonder if that wouldn't have been better than sweating out a three-year PhD!
Absolutely fantastic!!!! You're pretty fantastic and you've got great blog here! Have a great day and a brilliant week ahead!
www.the-white-list.co.uk
Post a Comment