Or not so distant, thanks to the joy of books. I braved the minus temperatures to venture into university and teach a seminar on Sir Gawain and the Green Knight this week, suitably attired in thick tights/boots/cardigan and, of course, the obligatory knight on a necklace (and no time for proper photos, sorry about that). Due to my love of this book, I dragged in with me several versions of Sir Gawain, including the fabulously colourful Michael Morpurgo children’s book (recommended reading!) and enthused at my students about the joy of medieval manuscripts and the colour green as linked to the devil in folklore. A story about a green giant who rides off headless at new year, and a shadowy Morgan-witch in the background? What’s not to love.
And to cheer up the grey day and match the colours of the occasion (and the children’s book) I went with lovely rich burgundy, which always makes me smile somehow, and a bit of medieval animal print.
I’m always torn between my love of the complexity of texts like this one and a more childish love, simply, of fairy tales and children’s books, which seem to allow an escape into the imagination that is harder to find in adult fiction. But it often feels like as a ‘serious’ reader, and a postgraduate student at that, I am not supposed to admit that. Although having said that, I get bored very quickly of the kind of conversations where people try to impress with their highbrow knowledge and scorn of anything not postmodern and deliberately multifaceted.
So. For the record, my favourite books are invariably children’s books, I love Larkrise to Candleford, animals dressed in clothes are one of my favourite things ever, and actually, I’m grateful that I know how to appreciate the little things and the green knights in life.
2 comments:
Oh you looked adorable! I don't have a knight on a necklace, but I do have a thimble shaped like a flat topped knight's helmet.
How did your lecture go? What was that you mentioned about a super smart student's comments? Share share share, please! ^_^
My favorite books are absolutely children's books as well. And whenever I look at my shelves and KNOW that I should be reading something about the middle ages, my eyes invariable get drawn over to the children's books. I actually just spent all of an amazon.com gift card on books - I got 6 (for some reason, I ordered The New Arthurian Encyclopedia, but they sent some odd 1970s sci-fi book and then claimed not to have TNAE in the first place! Must reorder) - 3 were children's fiction, one was a picture book, and two were fairy tale books. I did the dance of joy when they arrived. ^_^
Hello! The seminar went well, I've kind of got used to them now and the students are so keen and eager, it's really lovely - makes me want a job doing it even more, but there doesn't seem to be many around unfortunately :(
I have one slightly older student (who writes children's books - jealous!) who came in and said that he read Gawain as all about the plotting of Morgan, and that was linked to the supernatural elements as a suppression of pagan and feminine elements. Loved him :) Sometimes they are so much brighter than me!
I have such a big pile of children's books to read, it's such a pleasure - children's films too make me so happy! I have some new RJ Anderson, who I love, and The Whitby Witches which I am revisiting from my childhood, not to mention Most Improper Magick which I found at the library - am going to hide from the snow with the whole lot this weekend :)
Hope all is good with you! Wish you were here to swap books with ;)
Post a Comment