Or at least that's what I call the me that comes out when I get the chance to spend a day doing all my favourite things, which is just what I got to do when we went to see this at the Bodleian Library in Oxford:
http://www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/news/medieval-romance28-01-2012
This amazing exhibition wis entirely worth the visit - full of gorgeous medieval manuscripts, of the kind that make you stop and stare when you realise the incredibly precise handwriting and brand-new-looking gold foil was put there over 600 years ago. And, on top of that, there was the first page of Wind in the Willows and artefacts from Tolkien, as well as pictures of Harry Potter! I was immersed in my favourite world of books, and stayed in there all day.
This was followed by lunch in a tiny, lovely pub which has pictures of the famous Oxonians C. S. Lewis and Tolkien on the walls, ages spent delving in the children's section of my favourite bookshop, and watching Narnia when we got home. Heaven.
And, it turns out, my favourite feels-like-being-a-girl-again, Addams family, Wicked Witch and Narnia inspired outfit was perfect for the day. I now have a Tolkien and C. S. Lewis obsession which has left me dreaming all week...





2 comments:
Ok, you are officially the cutest person I know (and I'm really cute!)! I love your little collar!!! I just learned how to follow crochet patterns - I think I have to make one for myself. ^_^ (it's like having a brand new toy in every color ever!)
So, I'm on this fantastic quest to, not have fewer books necessarily, but for that all of the books I have to be books I like. So I'm reading and removing tons of books from my shelves, and feeling really proud of myself. My reward? We keep getting Advance Readers copies of juv. fiction books at work and they keep giving them to me! >_< One is about the Princes (who are not, in fact, named Charming, but have their own actual names and unique personalities!) in fairy tales and I'm super excited for it!
I wish you could visit here. I'm also looking to go on another dig this summer, and I'm going to try very hard to make at least a pit stop in Englandworld. Have lunch with me?? ^_^
Aw that is very sweet! A comment that made me happy :) I am in love with the little collar too, I think my hair has finally grown enough to work with it somehow? And now I have a complete obsession with removable collars - there are some great ones on ASOS!
I tried to learn to crochet, but I can't get past the first row - and I really want to be able to make cute crochet animals, so I really should give it another go. Good work you! See, if you were here you could show me ;)
I know what you mean about books - I have loads on my loft I don't REALLY want out, and I have many that I buy in charity shops or get in the library if I'm not sure if I'll want to keep them. I'm so jealous though, I always just really wanted to work in a bookshop but the jobs are so hard to ger here! It sounds amazing. I'm reading The Night Circus at the moment, and it's AMAZING! So completely impossible to pur down because I just want to live in it. And my children's book selection is getting bigger and bigger and more beautiful all the time ;)
I really wish I could visit you too! Me and Matt want to do America post-PhD, but we were thinking West coast :( Seems like everything I like is in Philadelphia at the moment though, bizarre! But if you get to England, I would totally come find you for tea. Wish we could do it more!
Post a Comment